Thursday, May 12, 2016

Thing 40: Final Reflections and What's Next!

I just reread my blog for Thing 22.  That seems like a really long time ago.  I did a lot of exploring of Evernote and Delicious.  I haven't used either of them again since researching them for this class.  I can see how they may be useful with older students.  I wonder about people who have time to "follow" others on social media.  I rarely have time to follow myself! I didn't think of Delicious as a type of social media but if you have the option of following others, then I guess it has some features of social media.  I don't think Thing 22 was my favorite Thing this year.  It was informative and it got me to explore things that I would not have otherwise...which is the point of this class, I know.  It is amazing to me how many sites there are out there that are used by millions of people but are unknown to millions of others...even those who use technology in their work and personal lives all the time.

I have used the links in On-line learning many, many times since completing Thing 18.  I will probably repeat this one again next year if it is offered.  I can't get enough of free on-line learning.  I absolutely love it.  I have been working on Crash Course in World History which I found on Khan Academy and have since discovered that there are many "Crash Courses" by John Green on YouTube.  I also just discovered that John Green is the same John Green that wrote some of my daughter's favorite sad books.  She is a romance fan who does not consider a book good unless it makes her cry.  And cry she does.  I like a good tear jerker every now and then but have to happen upon them by accident.  I will rarely pick up a book on purpose that I know is going to make me sad.  I have also started the Art History Course on Khan Academy but that one is going to take a while.  There are a lot of courses on EdX that I want to explore.  I am excited to have time to do this over the summer.

I also learned about Genrefied (spelling???) libraries in Thing 18.  I think I am going to do some reorganizing by genre over the summer.  My students ask for specific genres often, especially "scary" books and I want to be able to point out a section that includes more than Goosebumps books.  I am going to look for some genre labels that fit the categories that interest my students.  The pre-printed ones that are inherited when stepping into a school library are not the same terminology that students are used to or are asking for.  For example, I have a ton of "mystery" labels but none that say "scary" or "horror".  I think if I can design my own, I will go with "scary" over "horror".

Creating a Resource Guide probably had the least amount of information in my blog but the greatest amount of work attached to it.  I created a Libguide that was a LOT of work.  I also used it for a collegial circle that I belonged to this year.  A group of librarians in my district got together, read a book about Growth Mindset and created projects that tied into teaching with growth mindset qualities.  Here is the link again.  Resource Guide I am still adding to this Libguide and plan to continue to do so over the summer.  I would also like to make it a priority to actually use the Libguides submitted by the other librarians in my group.  All of them did a resource guide with great information and lessons.  Examples of some of the other guides created are: Lessons, Information, and Activities for Banned Book Week; Reference Lessons; Poetry Reading, Writing, and Celebrating; Maker Spaces in Libraries; Digital Citizenship & Cyberbullying;

I just discovered Ted Ed.  It is another online learning site.  I love the short videos that explain literary elements. I'm wasting lots of time this evening listening to them.  I just learned that there are 3 kinds of irony.  I have been confused about that word and now I know why.  Irony is different depending on how it is used.  Cool beans.

I am going to be attending an all day Google Learning Summitt on the 21st of May.  I haven't looked at the catalog of courses for the summer yet but I think I am going to take a few elearning courses and attend the Tech Camp for librarians in August.  Other than that, I am going to be working on the Crash Course that I started on World History.  I am also going to finish the Art History course.  I also plan on reading a lot of fiction....mostly mindless murder mysteries.  I am visiting my best friend from college who is also a book buddy...we text about what we are reading all the time.  She lives in North Carolina and I will be spending 4 days with her in July.  At the end of July, my boyfriend and I are going to the Dominican Republic with another friend and her family.  I think that trip is going to include more drinking than learning (it's an all inclusive resort).  It will be my first time out of the country besides Canada.

I do intend to participate in Cool Tools again next school year.  I really enjoy this course.  I will likely only do 5 again because I have so many other PD's that I have to do.  This year I have over 45 hours counting the 10 from Cool Tools.  It's probably more like 50 hours but I didn't keep track of some of them so I don't think I will get credit.

Have a great summer and I will "see" you in the fall!!!!

Sylvia

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful summary of the work you did! And you did a lot! How did the google learning summit go? Sounds like it would be a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And congrats on finishing the workshop! :)

    ReplyDelete